1. “It never rains in Manchester, but it pours” — Kevin Keegan
This quote isn’t directly related to Manchester United, but any knowledgeable United supporter knows the heavens like to open up above Manchester. Now although City and United receive equal amounts of rain, United seem to have received the majority of the blessings. Right, Keegan?
2. “In all modesty, my summing up of 1955-6 and 1956-7 must be that no club in the country could live with Manchester United.” — Matt Busby
Coming from the mouth of a true United legend and one who knew the Busby Babes better than anyone, it makes the Munich Disaster even more devastating.
3. “I didn’t do myself justice after joining Manchester City but, having said that, I shared a house with George Best for two years so it had its compensations!” — Mick Horswill
The English midfielder hints that sharing a house with a United legend was as good as playing for Manchester City…
4. “When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.” — Eric Cantona
Only Eric Cantona could possibly come up with a quote like this one. It is certainly one of the most memorable quotes from one of the most memorable Premier League players to this day.
5. “I never comment on referees and I’m not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat.” — Ron Atkinson
The former Manchester United manager sure knew how to be subtle when getting his points across.
6. “Cole should be scoring from those distances, but I’m not going to single him out.” — Sir Alex Ferguson
Sir Alex must have learned from his predecessor about how to be subtle in order to get his points across.
7. “As long as we are successful on the pitch, then I will be here—unless Manchester United put in a call. But I don’t think Sir Alex Ferguson is planning to step down just yet!” — Paul Ince
More than a decade later and I guess the current Notts County manager was right!
8. “Fergie said I was a Manchester United player in the wrong shirt—I said he was an Arsenal manager in the wrong blazer.” — Tony Adams
This one is just downright amusing.
9. “Paul Jewell’s sides are always hard to break down, although Manchester United have a habit of breaking his sides down pretty easily.” — Charlie Nicholas
Great insight from the Sky Sports pundit…
10. “When Manchester United are at their best I am close to orgasm.” — Gianluca Vialli
The former Italian striker and manager was one of only six Italian footballers to ever win the three main European club competitions (European Cup, Cup Winners’ Cup, and UEFA Cup). Judging by this quote, I suppose that’s just further proof why football is called the ‘beautiful game’.